Sunday, January 14, 2007

Chemistry

There are few people less qualified than I to talk about Chemistry, either as a science or as an interpersonal skill.
I am not a people person, and my chemistry teacher never liked me.

But I liked her. She had a snarky wit that I really enjoyed, even when it was directed at my chemical incompetence. Looking back, I wonder whether my experience of Chemistry predisposed me to find the Potions Master, Severus Snape, so interesting and attractive... in his dark, snarky way.

I wonder whether snarky chemistry teachers are a universal experience. Maybe long term exposure to all those fumes --there were some truly nasty smells-- sharpens the wit, the tongue, and the temper.

Best wishes,

Rowena Cherry

1 comment:

Angela's Designs said...

I remember my chemistry teacher from high school quite well. Probably because of one foolish moment. I was talking with my neighbor one day, and talking, and talking, and we realized the class was quite. The teacher was up front and all the students were waiting for us to shut up. Most teachers would have sent the two of us to detention or the office. Instead, he just let us make fools of ourselves. We paid attention after that. Very effective method of getting the class to pay attention.