Saturday, April 08, 2006

I love to break rules

Perhaps I should qualify that! I like to break "rules" that other people make concerning what and how I should write.

I tend to be a bit of a contrarian if I make a "bet" on the stock market, too.

Otherwise, I am a law abiding citizen.

Talking of breaking the law.... One of the most interesting books I've ever read was Isaac Asimov's The Gods Themselves, which was in three parts. One of the parts involved breaking a so-called law of either Physics or Chemistry, which Asimov decided to make possible in another, parallel, dimension.

My books would never work if read aloud as books on tape. I know that. I have too many names that sound as if they start with a J.

You noticed? There's Djohn-Kronos, Djetthro-Jason (in fact, there are two Djetthro-Jasons), Django-Ra, Djerrold Vulcan... and many, many more.

I did it on purpose. The fact that a lot of my favorite male names begin with G or J had little to do with it.

Once I'd decided that my ruling race were going to be Djinn, it seemed logical to me that all members of the Djinn Royal Family should have at least one "Royal" name. Thus, the Dj- in a character's name is an intentional heads-up to my readers that this person is one of the Djinn.

Not all characters choose to use their Royal Djinn name, which may imply something about their personality or that of the parent who named them.

Tarrant-Arragon doesn't feel the need to use the "Djustin Djohn" in his royally long list of names. Helispeta Djinnifer never uses her Royal name. Djarrhett abbreviates his name to 'Rhett.

Adding to the complexity, some of my characters hyphenate their given names, and some don't.
Some of them started out on the original Family Tree with hyphens, but which, as the character developed, I realized weren't right for them ... like Djinni-Vera and Helis-Peta. That, however, is another story!

Best wishes,
Rowena

No comments: